Monkeypox is a rare but potentially serious disease that is caused by the monkeypox virus. Monkeypox is from the same family of viruses as smallpox but is less severe and less transmissible than smallpox. Monkeypox can spread from infected humans, animals, and materials that are contaminated with the virus. Monkeypox is typically characterized by a new, pimple or blister-like rash. Other early symptoms include:- Fever- Swollen lymph nodes- Muscle aches
See the latest number of Monkeypox cases in Wisconsin on the Wisconsin Department of Health Services website. For case counts nationally, see the CDC’s website.
Monkeypox Prevention & Vaccination
Most people with monkeypox report having prolonged contact with someone with monkeypox. People can take the following steps to help protect themselves from Monkeypox:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Ask your sexual partner(s) if they have a rash or other monkeypox-related symptoms.
- Avoid skin-to-skin contact, including sex and intimate contact, with someone who has a rash or other symptoms.
- Consider how much close, skin-to-skin contact is likely to occur at the event you plan to attend.
- Do not share objects like bedding, towels, clothing, or utensils with someone with Monkeypox.
There is a vaccine available in the United States to prevent Monkeypox. However, due to a limited vaccine supply, the Wisconsin Department of Health Services is currently following the federal government’s recommendation to prioritize the JYNNEOS vaccine for individuals at the highest risk of infection. Click here to view the Monkeypox vaccine screening form to learn more about who is currently eligible to receive the vaccine.
Green County Public Health Currently has a limited supply of the Monkeypox vaccine. If you believe you are eligible for the Monkeypox Vaccine, please call Green County County Health at 608-328-9390 or email email@example.com to verify eligibility and discuss getting vaccinated.
- Monkeypox Fact Sheet
- Monkeypox: How it Spreads
- Monkeypox: Symptom Monitoring
- Monkeypox: What Everyone Needs to Know to Prevent the Spread
- Monkeypox Vaccine Eligibility Screening Tool
- FDA Authorizes Emergency Use of JYNNEOS Vaccine to Increase Vaccine Supply @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>