Policies, Procedures, and Permits


Driveway Access

New driveways and field entrances, as well as any alterations to existing connections beyond routine maintenance, require review and approval from our Department.  Changing a field entrance to a driveway for a new house would require review and approval, as would extending or blacktopping a driveway.  If a culvert is needed, it will be at the Owner’s expense.  A Representative of our Department will review the application form and the driveway location to determine if a driveway is permissible.  Driveway locations must adhere to the spacing regulations contained in the Highway Department’s code

Please contact our Patrol Superintendent at (608) 328-9411 for more information.

What about a Town Road?

Contact your Town Official for information about driveways on town roads.

What about a State Highway?

For a state road, see the WisDOT page https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/doing-bus/real-estate/permits/sth.aspx

Utility Permit

Green County requires a permit prior to the installation of utilities within the highway right-of-way limits of a County Highway.


Green County requires a permit for vehicle travel on County Highways that cannot meet the weight restrictions as posted.  Permit application must be completed and must be approved prior to travel.  

Oversize/overweight vehicles traveling on municipal roads and streets must obtain permit coverage from the municipality.

Oversize/overweight vehicles traveling on State Highways must obtain permit coverage from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.


Mailbox Policy

This policy is to address mailbox installation within the Green County Highway right-of-way and any damage claim by the Owner of the mailbox as a result of Highway Department Operations.

The Green County Highway Department will not repair or replace mailboxes damaged on the County Truck Highway System unless it has been determined, by the Highway Department, that physical damage was caused by actual contact with the County Equipment and that the existing installation was stable and post were in good condition prior to the damage.  The mailbox and post installed should be able to withstand the force of flying snow and slush from traffic and snow operations.

 Any claim of damage from Highway Department operations will be investigated by Highway Department personnel.   

 If a mailbox is hit and damaged by Highway Department equipment and cannot be fixed, replacement of mailbox shall be limited to furnishing and delivering a minimum standard U.S. Post Office approved mailbox and standard 4”x4” treated wood post.  Special decorative mailboxes and/or posts will not be provided and may not be acceptable by the Postal Service.


Signs in Highway Right-of-Way –

Advertising in Highways Prohibited

According to Wisconsin State Statute 86.191, advertising political, realty, etc. is prohibited on State and County right-of-way.  Any signs on the right-of-way will be removed and may be picked up at the County Highway Department.